Sunday 20 February 2011

David Beckham, Endorsing and the PS1!

Hey all you blog fans out there, apologies for not posting in the last few days. There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. Valentines day was good, I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and you got something from that someone special! Just typing, and chilling out to Les McKeown’s solo album. If you don’t know who he is, he’s the singer from the Bay City Rollers and strangely, it has one or two tracks I would deem worthy.

I’m not here to talk about solo albums; I’m here to talk about something else. As some will know, I’m a big gaming fan. I’ve been writing some stuff for this blog gaming related, I need to finish it at some point.

I’ve been looking at a lot of PS1 games recently. I even did a list of them all, around 85 at the time of writing in total. I recently had a go at an endorsement product. It was called David Beckham Soccer! I mean, I’m not a big fan of David myself but I thought I’d give it a try. What I have to keep in mind is that it was released on the PS1 in 2000, so the graphics are not going to be up to scratch. I realised this when I went to play a game on my 21” and it looked snowy all over the pitch. I’m not talking about the weather either! I love it how companies get big name players to release their own video games. It was the same as Michael Owen, but frankly, I found his game much more enjoyable and less set on the fact of who was endorsing it other than the title screen. This showed Michael Owen joyfully saying “Welcome to Michael Owen’s World League Soccer 99, Have Fun!” I didn’t see such an entertaining thing in Beckham’s game, this is disappointing in a way.

I found the control system difficult but then I wasn’t used to it. I guess a lot of football games of this period had issues with the controls. I remember Actua Soccer had similar tendencies in the control style. The difference between DBS and AS is that Alan Shearer is way cooler than David Beckham in my opinion. Anyway, I’m getting off subject a bit here.

I guess what I’m trying to say is although there were good football games in this era; there were also some bad ones. People tend to forget that there was more than just Fifa in the 32-bit days. Anyone remember Viva Football? It was a game that allowed the player to play as one of the great teams from the past. I didn’t care that the graphics and controls were a bit dodgy; it was this one fact alone that drew me to it.
I guess that’s the key to games these days, gimmicks. All you have to do is to look at Little Big Planet and see that!
Anyway, thanks for reading this pointless article. I’m hoping to get some more up soon, so if you have any suggestions, please don’t hesitate to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment